Can your scalp still breathe?

Postby naturalmanenyc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:00 am

Similar to the thread in the growth section. Just for ppl to ask question's about wigs that don't necessarily need a whole thread. Or for ppl whole don't have enough post's to. Firstly. When you go shopping for wigs how best is it to style your own hair? I have never tried 1 on before but I imagine it to be like a swimming cap, how comfortable are they? Can your scalp still breathe? Second. Those that workout in gym's what do you do? leave them on while you exercise?
naturalmanenyc

Re: Can your scalp still breathe?

Postby La Colocha » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:07 am

Wigs are very comfortable to wear. Your scalp will breathe because wig caps are very thin material. When I go to buy a wig I braid my hair in the way I am going to wear it under the wig. This way you can get a good idea if it fits well and how the style looks on you. When I work out I do not wear my wig I put a hat over my braids....Thats just me. Maybe someone else will shine more light.
La Colocha

Postby SweetAKA » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:10 am

When you go shopping for wigs how best is it to style your own hair? You can either have your hair in braids or brushed back. Word of advice: take your own wig cap/stocking cap when trying on wig samples. I have never tried 1 on before but I imagine it to be like a swimming cap, how comfortable are they? Can your scalp still breathe? I absolutely love wigs. They are VERY comfortable, lightweight and breathable. Those that workout in gym's what do you do? leave them on while you exercise? I leave mine on. I switched from lace wigs because of the adhesive, I didn't want to worry about adhesives ALL of the time after a workout. What I do is wrap the ends of the hair/wig, pin it up and tie a scarf around the perimeter of my head so when I am done working out, I just unwrap the scarf, unpin and go.
SweetAKA

Postby sensi sweetie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:14 am

I don't think you really need one but I do use them when trying on wigs at the bss. You never know how many people have tried them on before you. Since my hair is short I just put my personal wigs right on top of my hair with no cap. For people with longer hair they may use them to keep their hair from looking bulky underneath the wigs.
sensi sweetie

Postby MzRhonda » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

prettypithy wrote:Goes to show I know nothing about wigs! So you need some sort of cap thing to wear underneath a wig? what does that do?
MzRhonda

Postby prettypearl20 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:17 am

how can i properly blend a half wig in with my relaxed hair? i do not want to have that "slick back" look though. what is a "fullcap" this is freetress vanilla girl fullcap...does that mean i can wear it as a full wig or do i have to part some hair out?
prettypearl20

Postby Dyani » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:19 am

I have a full cap, I don't understand the name I think its because its a "full cap (wig cap) of hair but its a half wig? But yea its a half wig n it doesn't look right as a full wig, I've tried , it looks like you have a thick behind hairline
Dyani

Postby Nubialady » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:22 am

What is the chance of your wig falling off or flying off in the wind?I am thinking about getting wigs n stop with weaves but I just can't live with the thought of my hair gone with the wind or slipping off.Also, How can I make sure my wig is SECURE?
Nubialady

Postby TriniStarr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:23 am

when you buy wigs do you leave it as it comes out of the packet or do you cut it? if so how do you do this? do you do it yourself? or do you carry it to the salon?
TriniStarr

Postby tdwillis » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:24 am

I don't know what the chances of that are, but I'm sure a big one or a loose one has the better chance of falling off. To make mine secure (I really don't trust them combs during hard winds) I sewn on a few wig clips either on the sides or front depending on the style and on the back to make sure it doesn't fall or slide up my hair.
tdwillis

Postby Shaley » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:25 am

I usually leave it as is, the few wigs I have aren't that full/puffy but I know a few ladies do thin them out themselves
Shaley

Postby naturalmanenyc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:28 am

If your baby hairs do not match your wig then id suggest combing it and adding grease. and put a bandana on it so the style cloud stay put..or gel..do not shave it off..its there for a reason..i like the plastic combs but not when their short they slip out. For a secure fit i buy these Bobby Pins that are kinda curved made to go with the shape of your head..also i make a braid for the comb to hold on to like around my head.. sometimes i continue it till all my hair is in a circular motion braid.. but do not pull a drwstring wig so tight that causes breakage.but drawstrings and adjustable straps are for a secure fit. Blending. I made a topic on a blending product she really blends her hair with her wigs and theres NO slick Looks..Its impressive.. But when u have a perm its kinda like an advantage.
naturalmanenyc

Postby SouthernStunner » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 am

I would love to know what is women regimen for caring for their hair under the wig? I have worn mine for over a year, and my hair is now super fluffy & will not hold a curl from being all cooped up under the wig. Granted, I don't cornrow & usually do not wear a cap, so those are things i am going to start doing. But just curious to know what other ladies do for their under wig hair care.
SouthernStunner

Postby Conterria » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:36 am

there is a thread made where I told her my hair care regiment which was. I make sure to deep condition my hair with Organics Root Stimulator Hair Mayo and I also make sure I moisturize my scalp with like Organics hair fertilizer which i apply when braiding my hair.. and I also make sure to do a wet wrap after washing to avoid the blow drying og my hair which can provoke a lot of damage. and I also sleep with a silk scarf to make sure moisture stays put in my hair but if u do not like scarfs consider getting a silk bonnest or a silk pillow case.. also oil your combs that way they don't dry your hair.. another thing I do is scalp massages to promote blood flow for my hair..my hair has grown my family even ask me if my real hair is mine..i love it..weather or not they mean it don't rush tp wash your hair it can strip your natural oils unless your sporting snowflakes. yes your Ends ! They Need Product too! I just pamper my natural hair make my halo braid pattern then i may throw on a wig cap or just throw my cap on and my combs hold on to my braids and i put bobby pins and just for an extra secure fit.
Conterria

Postby CarmenKay » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:37 am

If you buy a full lace cap wig, do you have to bring some hair out? cause I do not have not one bone in my body that can blend properly. It will come out looking like a hot mess! If you have to blend, can someone show me some videos? Also, what kind of full lace cap brands do you useor prefer?
CarmenKay

Postby Auburn » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 am

Is it a full cap full wig or full cap half wig? With full cap wigs I don't leave any hair out.Hell I never leave any hair out regardless, my hair is too thin up top to blend properly and I like changing up colors and trying new ones, and most of the time my own hair is not the same color.Brands in general, I like Freetress & Sensationnel, but they do have their misses as well.
Auburn

Postby curlycoilycandi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:45 am

Your short wig should be able to cover all hair with no problem. All my short wigs cover my baby hair without fail. I was surprised.
curlycoilycandi

Postby TayMac » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:47 am

I am getting my first wig ( a half wig ) this week even though I am only 20 ! I am getting it so my hair can rest.Here is my question what is the etiquette for buying a half-wig at the BSS ? Will they let me match or try them on. Should I buy a wig cap ?I was thinking of getting some ORS oil sheen since it's on sale.
TayMac

Return to Wigs