Gross Question about Braid odor

Postby mrssilas1808 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:04 am

Hey nasty a question, but anybody have any suggestions what to do to get rid of weave odor? I'm noticing that the longer my natural hair gets and the braids are longer and have to be wounded up around my head more I have been getting mildewy smell. I wash my hair a lot because I am wearing naturegirl and constantly have to keep that hair wet. I think that is contributing to the problem too. I'm going to go take it all down early this week , but any suggestions or home remedies to keep that musty smell away? Should I try to put a blowdryer up in the hair up to braids to dry them or something? I usually let hair airdry, sometimes diffuse, but my braids seems to be taking forever to dry now that my natural hair is so long. Any help would be appreciated.
mrssilas1808

Re: Gross Question about Braid odor

Postby wheezy807 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:07 am

if you have a mildewy smell, you likely have mildew. IMO, you should eliminate the problem rather than cover up the scent because if you don't, over time, you will damage your hair significantly.
Why do you have to wash the hair a lot? Have you ever tried a spritz with purified water mixed with vegetable glycerine (avaialble at drugstores). Glycerin is a humectant and helps retain moisture. You need to "water it down" with aloe vera gel or purified water because too much glycerine makes things sticky.
wheezy807

Postby Luvmyson2008 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:12 am

When I wore micros I would wash my hair often & use a conditioner...I let my hair air dry as well (mainly overnight) and never had any smell issues...in fact- my hair smelled great!!
BUT I also used that Root Stimulator's product that is basically a latherless shampoo in a bottle - the name eludes me at the moment-
..you apply it to your scalp and the actual braids themselves and then rub your scalp & braids with a towel to remove any excess...it tingles a little bit and gives your scalp a cool, clean feeling...give it a try!
& I don't know what "naturegirl" is (is it a wet and wavy type of hair that constantly needs water & mousse??) but keeping your braids wet all the time doesn't seem to be a good idea & is probably the root of your problem...
Luvmyson2008

Postby StylistAdvocate » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:16 am

I have had naturgirl wavy and curly) I did wet my hair a lot. I used a difuser like people with naturally curly hair use to dry and not mess up the curl. I use the tingly stuff meantioned earlier to clean my weaves. It will take odor. itchiness away and sooth the scalp. It is by organic root stimulator and called Herbal cleanse Dry shampoo (it is actually wet). Use that and you will smell and feel much better.
StylistAdvocate

Postby Luvmyson2008 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:20 am

I'll take it down and start with the latherless shampoo. How do you use it?
Spritzing naturegirl curls just doesnt seem to do the job for me. For me to get it really curly and frizzless I got to have all the curls really saturated. Am I the only one who has to do this? When I spritz it, I have to REALLY spritz it, make my bathroom a mess. Just spritzing it lightly still makes it form frizzy curls.
I really really wish Bliss would get some super curly deep curl in longth lengths because although I love the look of NatureGirl I am getting really sick of having to get it so wet every day, my cornrows expanding and now this funk. Since I've gotten NatureGirl I've had to take down my hair more often because of the constant wetting of my hair. There just isnt many options for really deep curly hair out there. Poor me .
Luvmyson2008

Postby SouthernStunner » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:27 am

I have very long hair naturally that is braided. I use a shampoo -clarifier-build-up remover twice a week with Eucalyptus (Paul Mitchell Tea Trea Oil Shampoo), I never had any mildew problems or dandruff. I leave it on for 2 or 3 minutes, then I take the power sprayer from my shower on super full blast (it's really strong , and wash it off thoroughly and then I apply a conditoner, etc. I am a runner, so I am avid about keeping my hair fresh and clean.. ohhh i also don't put conditioner to close to the braids -scalp since it will distribute when I rinse t out.
SouthernStunner

Postby curlycoilycandi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:32 am

I couldnt get 2-day-hair w/ NG 3b either. When i wore NG 2b wavy, i could go 4 days w/ no product or wetting. I'd just wake up and take out my braids or twists and be ready to go. The curly hair does take a bit more effort which is a pain in winter time wetting hair to go outside in frigid temps. I have that same issue w/ the peruvian curly.. having to wet each day. Hey, did your friend ever receive hers?? I have been loving mine girlie
curlycoilycandi

Postby MoreHair_43 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 am

The cure for mildew is tea tree oil. Add tea tree essential oil to your leave-in product or oil you are currently using.
MoreHair_43

Postby mzsophisticated » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:36 am

i was also told that it could have a lot to do with the type of hair you have, african americans can retain more oils and moisture in the hair w/out it getting the "funk" smell, reason why we dont have to shampoo our hair everyday, but the root simulator may help.
mzsophisticated

Postby SwingPrincess » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:37 am

To get the beautiful curly NG hair to look right I wet it totally in the shower. Put conditioner on and put a little gell on the hair in the from that was mine (if needed). I would use a few clips in the front until dry so my hair would just blend in with the curls. Then the hair would dry naturally or dry with a diffuser. It really wasn't as time consuming as it sounds. I have found that many girls with curly hair do this routine. Oh- and do not comb the hair when dry, only finger comb. I do not think I will do that this summer because NG has this product called curl keeper that I heard tames and preserves the curl over several days. I have never tried curl keeper.
SwingPrincess

Postby SwingPrincess » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:39 am

can't go as long without washing my scalp. ANother thing is I wear a LOT of hair so those braids are wet for a long time when I let it naturally dry. I just didn't use to wet my hair near as much before I got NatureGirl.

Thanks for the advise. Im definitely going to try a few things I learned here today. Get me some teatree oil and dry shampoo.

Nah Koffee , she never got that hair from Peru. She finally called them on the phone this week and they said they would send her hair next week. But they've said that like 20 times so far. :( At first they said they sent her product and she was happy. Then on the phone they said oh yeah we will send it next week. Still doesnt explain why they wouldn't answer her email for a month begging for her paid for hair and still answer their other emails from prospective customers. I REALLY wanted some peru hair, but I'm scared now. 6 months she has been waiting! And she emailed at least once a week! Does anyone else but them sell Peruvian hair? How does the wefts hold out? Do you have to wet it more or less than naturegirl?
SwingPrincess

Postby wheezy807 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:40 am

That's a mess! Iguess I got my hair pretty quick afterall. And i was mad it took over the 10 days she originally told me ., I have to wet the Peruvian more than NG. It's much much drier and coarser. Which is a good thing for blending, but like my natural hair.. it takes a MIN. to get it tamed. I like my curls a lil bit wet looking, but not real shiny. So i want a lil product on mine. I think if u wanted drier looking curls, u could go 2 days on a style.

G/T: NG sent me a bottle of the curl keeper w/ my last curly order and it is a good product. U can use a small amt for drier looking curls; or use more if u want the wet look curls. Cherry, didn't u say u used Curl Keeper too?

And i agree w/ G/T, it's not a lot of work w/ the NG or peruvian hair (wetting daily). My only complaint is going out w/ wet hair in winter. Summer days, i don't mind. And usually i sport wavy or straight hair in winter time to avoid that wetting, but i fell in love w/ my Peruvian and when i took it out for my straight-winter switch up, i just decided to put curly back in again! I am so sorry about your friend Cherry, she and u would love this Peruvian hair. shame on them..
wheezy807

Return to Weaves / Extensions