How old is to young for a full head weave ?

Re: How old is to young for a full head weave ?

Postby reeko43 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:38 am

wow thats way too young, i got my first sew-in in the 8th grade(age 14) but it was for a dance and graduation. I have a 12 yr old cousin who's father doesnt allow her to have extensions added to her hair, even when she is getting it braided.
reeko43

Postby KPH » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:38 am

To me, a young girl wearing fake hair is like a young girl wearing makeup. It's just too grown and I wouldn't want her getting attached to "enhancements" at such an early age. I want her to appreciate what God gave her first. jmo. There are effective protective styles that don't involve the addition of fake hair -- especially if we're talking about kids in grade school.
KPH

Postby VirGoViXxEn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:39 am

I am 15 and I just got my first weave after years of having braids. My grandma told me that until I was 15 I couldn't have one, they are really to grown up looking. Children don't have that much hair on their heads anyways, it can really look unatural.
VirGoViXxEn

Postby janda » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:40 am

oh and another thing alot times they have to wear weave because these parents put relaxer in kids hair at 2years old by the time they are 10yrs they have no hair thats why STOP RELAXING THESE BABIES HAIR SO YOUNG JUST STOP!
janda

Postby HijabiFlygirl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:40 am

Yes exactly! The first time I got any sort of fake hair on my head was when I was 7 and I had those box braids in a bob burnt at the ends. 1st and 2nd grade is definitely wayyy too young to have any type of sew in weaves. I didn't get my first sew in until around 14 and even then it was always short (10-12in) and I rarely wore my hair out. SMDH at some parents. I also HATE seeing relaxers on little girls that's just disaster in the making!
HijabiFlygirl

Postby Goldenprincess » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:41 am

If someone if giving their daughter a weave in elementary school, I just think something is totally wrong with that...I can see once a girl gets into high school and starts
Goldenprincess

Postby Auburn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:42 am

the way I see it, having "flowing" hair does not necessarily mean that it is too grown. Growing up, all of my classmates had long "flowing" hair down their backs to their butts and none of them looked "grown". Granted, I did go to an all-white school. My point being that just because a little girl's hair is long does not automatically make it not age-appropriate. Now, highlights, or a big blowout, or layering is different.
Growing up, my mother didnt let me wear braids or a relaxer or anything for fear of me looking "grown". I hate her for it. She also had no clue how to care for ethnic hair either. So, growing up I just looked homeless and got tormented for it. All that being said, I would be real quick to grab the Just For Me. Hair grows back, and it certainly should never define you...or your child.
Auburn

Postby reeko43 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:43 am

Its one thing if the hair is long and flowing and it actually grows from the scalp. If the hair is long and flowing at the age of 5 or 6 and it's courtesy of Milky Way, there is where the problem lies. Sewn-in/bonded weave/quickweave etc weave is just not age appropriate for girls that young.
reeko43

Postby Kimgirl50 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:44 am

if there was a medical reason and the child needed it, I would just say as long as it was tasteful and not over the top. HOWEVER, if that is not the case, that is far too young. I personally think anything under 16 is way too young.
Kimgirl50

Previous

Return to Weaves / Extensions