"Is That Your Real Hair" How Do You Respond

Re: "Is That Your Real Hair" How Do You Respond

Postby slimjuicy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:12 am

I think some people ask b/c it gives itself away either by wrong color, obsessive length, or wrong texture. Often times when weave does look nice people naturally want to know. I would ask, esp if I want to ask questions about their products or stylist or just for plain inspiration. People walk up and ask me where I got my shoes, watch ect, contacts ,I take it as a compliment. When someone answers with a nasty attitude then they took it the wrong way and always will. I dont wear weaves but If I had to, I would thing the stares and questions came with the territory. Weave is no different than, anything else we women use to enhance ourselves.
slimjuicy

Postby jazzired » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:15 am

I should hope not. lol!!! What is that saying about your real hair when it is not a weave and they ask. They think it is the wrong color, wrong texture, and/or obsessive length. That is still not a compliment, IMO. They are putting you to their standards of what it right. What they feel you should have and what they expect for you to have only because you are Black.
jazzired

Postby ChocolatePie777 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:21 am

it depends, if its a man (stranger) i get angry or if i am in public and others are around i am taken aback my the comment. for some strange reason since people alway think its my hair i guess because i leave some of mine out. Or maybe its because i have this dont mess with me look on my face sometimes when i see people with a curious look on their face. this is how they get me (bring my defense down) strike up a conversation then tell me how nice my hair looks and then bam they ask me.
ChocolatePie777

Postby prettypearl20 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:27 am

All in all it is definitely rude & I try to educate co workers not to ask about people's hair technique & to just give the compliment & let it go. I tell them this because we have co workers with medical conditions that wear wigs and I want them to at least try to be sensitive to that.
prettypearl20

Postby Cream Tee » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:27 am

It depends on the "context" of how the question was asked for me.. In general I think it's rude to ask this question when it's clear the person asking is only asking because they are trying to be mean, rude and condescending. Generally I consider the source and answer accordingly.. If the person is being a hater, then they get the "what the hell is wrong with you" look.. Others I will just say "Thanks", and if they are someone I want to share the info with (like a fellow weave wearer) then I will share.. My weaves look natural so most folks I drop the bomb on are pretty shocked that it's not my natural hair anyway.. Just recently I asked a lady at work where she got her braids done, and she told me that I didn't need braids because I was "blessed" already with nice hair!LOLLOL You shoulda seen the look on her face when I shared my "secret" with her.
Cream Tee

Postby Honeechile » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:30 am

In response to my last posts: You know what, I just realized this is in the Weave/Extension Section of the forum. (I only browse the list of active threads, instead of browsing by Forum Sections so I didn't notice until now)
Honeechile

Postby sensi sweetie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:40 am

I've never asked another women if she is wearing a weave. Most times I already know because I've been into hair since I was a little girl sitting in my Grandmother's shop watching her do it up. I find that men never ask, they either assume the hair is all mine or they don't care. Women ask and they just investigate until they can tell or feel comfortable enough to ask. I keep enough hair out also to kind of throw people off. I never get offended, I just tell them yes and the girl that I go to is the best! I don't care if they know, I only care if it looks good because I know my hair can grow this long. Take it as a compliment, if you're worth asking then something about you made them stop and look. I'm not trying to be somebody else, I'm just being a woman who takes pride in changing her looks. I grew up around women who were very feminine, they dressed up, wore hair pieces/wigs, great makeup and went out to have a ball. I don't know any other way!It also depends on where you live. In some areas weaves are a way of life!
sensi sweetie

Postby ModelessDiva » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:01 am

Usually if people say,"Your hair is nice", then I say thank you, but it's a weave. I don't think anyone ever ask me if it was a weave, but people usually ask, how long is your hair? Most women & men at my job usually don't ask, they know since my hair changes to a fake pony tail when I am in between weaves and sometimes my color changes too. Shocked I find that men of any color usually don't care as long as it looks nice. It usually depends on what type they are anyway. Usually, they lookin' at my jeans.
ModelessDiva

Postby SwingPrincess » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:03 am

I havent had anyone be that rude but I do get compliments on my hair.

If someone says I like your hair...I just say thank you

If someone says your hair is so pretty how do you get it this way etc I will say it's not all my hair

If someone was ignorant enough to ask me out right is that a weave...I dont even think I would answer them. I willl act like they are not even there.
SwingPrincess

Postby LindseyJ88 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:44 am

it's annoying and it's rude. What I also hate are the stares. I always have girls looking in my head to see if the textures match. And when they figure out it's a ponytail, they seem relieved. Other times people don't even notice and the looks say they think it looks nice. But just like Buttaflygirl, when I used to relax my hair, people said it looked like a wig. I didn't understand what that meant, I thought it was an insult, but actually they said it looked too perfect. And that's when my hair was short!
But even with my hair natural, my SISTER asks me what I put in my hair to make it curl, and I say 'just gel' and she mocks me saying 'just gelStern Smile' and I'm like huh? Why are you HATIN on me?? But again, like I've said on another board, it's a form of self-hatred. Black women get jealous if they see another Black woman's hair looking long and luscious. It makes them feel bad b/c they BELIEVE they can't grow their own hair if they're not biracial etc etc.. I'm appauled that it's 2006 and Black people are STILL keepin up with this foolishness.

Oh, and White people never askLOL I've even gone in for hair consultations with a weave and they try to undo my 'hair' to see the texture then realize it's a weaveLOL Then they go 'Oh, that's not your hair' And I'm like 'nope'Tongue

But anyway, if someone compliments me and wants to know where I got it done, I'd tell them it's not all my hair. No big deal. But not if they're tryna be smart
LindseyJ88

Postby smokahontas » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:45 am

I realise that I do look good with my weave hair, and they wish I was some ugly old hag under all this.

Truth be told, I don't even know how long my hair is, it has not had a full head perm since before Christ lol, I do know that my hair is deceiving and if I relaxed it I would have a nice length to it, but they want me to have some pici bald head under here, also what no one else ever sees is that I look alot younger because I look like I did many moons ago lol, I am too vein and probably a bit insecure to take a leap yet and get real with myself, but bwoy I LOVE A WEAVE!!!! I always tell people since I paid for it, it now belongs TO ME!!
smokahontas

Postby prettypearl20 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:49 am

I take it as a compliment! Becuase the way that I choose to see it is this, for a person to even ask means that they are in awe for how magnificent the hair hair looks!! Some are haters and some are admirer's but all in all they are all thinking "Damn that b--ch,looks great!! they all want some too on the real tip but not all are confident enough to rock it and not care what other people think! when a guy sees a girl with nice breast,he doesn't care if they are real or not,all he knows is that he wants to touch them!! I say do whatever you must to stay tight
prettypearl20

Postby MzRhonda » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:50 am

I think they should appreciate a woman who takes time and (let's face it) a whole heap of trouble to look nice.

I do it for me and nobody else, I don't wear mine that long but I feel confident, wearing weave is like foundation to others, for now until I grow into myself, I'm gonna stitch like there is no tommorrow, esp now that we can accsess decent hair (for the most part at least)
MzRhonda

Previous

Return to Weaves / Extensions