Whats the point of wearing a Lace Front.

Postby Addicted19034 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:21 am

Well I dont know if anyone read my original post or my response clearly. As I previously mentioned I have nothing against people who wear LF's, If I knew how to properly install them I would be wearing them myself. I know why people wear them, the same reason I wear my weaves. I applaud all the beautiful installs and LF's that I see on this board everyday.......
This thread was more in reference to HAM looking LF's. For people walking around with shining line around their hairline which screams im wearing a LF. When people dont take the time to apply them correctly, or maybe they dont know how. Who knows
Sorry if anyone offendended, but cleary you misunderstood the question. Cause not one time did I say anything negative about LF''s, or bash anyone on this board for wearing them.
Addicted19034

Re: Whats the point of wearing a Lace Front.

Postby CarmenKay » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:27 am

You are both right....We have got to do better in BMORE!!! I have seen way 2 many HAM applications and the beauty supply owners should be shot with those synthetic, ant scalp lace front wigs. Especially the BSS in the Westside Shopping Center. Homegirl over there selling human lace wigs that are a MESSS. They dont even have bleached knots, the lace is thick, and white and the hair is suspect.....and she want over $300.00 for them. Sometimes, i go over there to get my eyelashes done and the girls always look at me like they want to know about my hair.
CarmenKay

Postby ChicFrenchy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:31 am

Well it's not only Bmore, some of the BSS here in Jersey are actually applying the Lf's right there in the storeLOL. and not discreetly niether, right out in the open. I walked in one day like WTF
ChicFrenchy

Postby smokahontas » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:34 am

the beauty supply in the Westside is where i get my eyes done too (when i want some drama to the face). And she needs a beating for the units in there. I asked her about them being synthetic, because of that pale hard lace, and the man that is always at the front front was like, "you don't need it, so don't worry. this is a WIG. for long HAIR.". While I was wearing my Chrystian from fixinheads. Yeah, ok.
smokahontas

Postby bellahoney » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:38 am

I just luv my lace...I'm bald and I have worn braids,wigs,weaves,closures,frontals and now full lace...by far the full lace has a lot more styling options...and look more realistic...So ladies LUV YOUR LACE
bellahoney

Postby naturalmanenyc » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:41 am

I guess that can go for any style that's done incorrectly not just LF. I see many ppl with weaves that screams weaves, due to poor blending, bad hair quility, tracks showing etc or just plan ole don't care..
naturalmanenyc

Postby RoxieDream » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:43 am

i'm sorry it wasn't meant to offend you either, it was a more generalized statement b/c i read someone say we'll fight tooth and nail as if we're in denial and that the hair growth isn't possible while wearing them or something to that extent.. i was just attempting to cover all the issues and address them, no offense was intended. that why i specifically said I know you didn't mean any harm just curious..
RoxieDream

Postby bronzebomb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:46 am

Girl....I know...they hate it when you walk in there and your lace wig is undetectable. LOL
bronzebomb

Postby iluvmyNYstyle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:48 am

Right now I'm wearing a SLF, waiting for my human hair to arrive. I think I'm doing a pretty decent job in application and believability. I've powdered it down to remove the shine and since I don't wear it out, it looks pretty close to the way my hair looked when I relaxed it. I've trimmed the lace so you can't see it. I've softened the lace with fabric softener, so it's working for me. I also have one with the Futura hair.

The reasons for wearing a LF are too numerous to mention. I've seen women dye their hair colors not found in nature (is Kool-Aid red really a hair color?), but I say to each her own. Being comfortable in your own skin is what's important.
iluvmyNYstyle

Postby Honeechile » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:50 am

I agree with some of that. I believe that synthetic LF's have downgraded the entire game.... However... the average person has to crawl before they can walk. Learning to perfect an app is an ongoing process where 90% of the success is based on the construction and fit of the unit itself, the rest is practice, practice, practice.
Honeechile

Postby weavequeen83 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:52 am

yea so true, but what does it really matter? I'm amazed at some, since they've brought nothing to the table, like it really matters.. so its like if its not your style then why do you reallly care.. I know the op probably didn't mean no harm, she just curious but it is a fact, that you can obtain hair growth while wearing these units, if you know what your doing..

which it matters not to me if people believe that or not, b/c its easy to doubt something you're not really familiar with.. and what sadden me, is for others to not realize the opportunity wearing lf's can give you, to give your hair the break it needs from chemicals and other processes, daily manipulation, and the constant opportunity to give your hair the moisture it requires to obtain length without breakage.. that is what actually kills black hair, its a learning experience.. and opportunity to have that growth and still look fly.. as long as my hair is now down my back and i'm seeing mad growth who really cares what someone you honestly don't know believes...

my one request is please don't judge the members of this board, by putting us in the same catergory as someone you seen on the streets who's probably been BSS shopping with synthetic or inferior hair, and techniques that hasn't taken the time to learn and achieve what we're trying to achieve.. and there are many here that are no longer trying but have arrived..but as long as you can do you well, that's all that matters..its everyone's choice to do what they please you really don't need anyone's permission nor their approval..
weavequeen83

Postby HairGirl203 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 am

I can spot a weave from a mile away, especially when the person is bald headed or when they try and match hair that doesn't.

The only weaves that have fooled me are when the person has long hair already. My niece has fooled me... I had to ask cause I damn sure couldn't tell. If all you have is a few tracks in the back adding to hair that is already long.....well, that makes it difficult.
Most of the time(when they ask).. that's what people think that I am doing with mine...."tracks in the back"...
HairGirl203

Postby Honeechile » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:56 am

I can spot a weave from a mile away, especially when the person is bald headed or when they try and match hair that doesn't.

The only weaves that have fooled me are when the person has long hair already. My niece has fooled me... I had to ask cause I damn sure couldn't tell. If all you have is a few tracks in the back adding to hair that is already long.....well, that makes it difficult.
Most of the time(when they ask).. that's what people think that I am doing with mine...."tracks in the back"...
Honeechile

Postby montrese89 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:57 am

Yes, that is the purpose exactly.

I don't think anyone purposely wants to have a look where it is CLEAR that it is a wig. Many people suffering from hair loss HAVE to wear a wig or .. just walk around bald.

Everyine wants their hair to look real .. I don't care what anyone says.
I think all the HAMs you saw are people that don't know what they are doing .. maybe they are still learning?

What's worse .. a lot of these HAMs pay someone to install their units but since they don't know what they are doing either ... there you go. HAM HAM HAM - only you are paying someone to give you a HAM.

You may as well give yourself a HAM and bit by bit LEARN how to apply it correctly.

I would never pay someone to install my unit.... One if the bennies of having a unit is that you DON'T have to wait on the hair dressor all the time!!!!!
montrese89

Postby ModelessDiva » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:59 am

my one request is please don't judge the members of this board, by putting us in the same catergory as someone you seen on the streets who's probably been BSS shopping with synthetic or inferior hair, and techniques that hasn't taken the time to learn and achieve what we're trying to achieve.. and there are many here that are no longer trying but have arrived..but as long as you can do you well, that's all that matters..its everyone's choice to do what they please you really don't need anyone's permission nor their approval .....
ModelessDiva

Postby pocall2000 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:00 am

My first LF was a definite HAM. I was so frustrated that I sat up watching videos on YouTube for how to put it on, then finally I attempted to do it myself - which created another HAM but a less noticeable one.

Good thing for me that I don't have to "go" to work, and that I can pass by the mirror at random and whip out the alcohol and a qtip and get rid of the excess glue and halos.

Once I figured it out, shoot, I earned my LF stripes and dang proud of it. Although you won't catch me with a HAM now...
The process of evolving to a good hair app is not easy but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

In the end, its all about how much pride you take in your appearance. Those who don't mind a little HAM, become satisfied with "Hamlets". Those who strive for LF perfection, you'd barely notice the app.
pocall2000

Postby jcampbell832 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:02 am

I'm not in the business of trickery or try to convince someone that the hair on head is mine .. ima let them draw their own conclusion,, since trying to figure it out is more important then trying to find a cure for Cancer

( ppl need to get a life really)

I wear LF as a protective style as well as a growing tool for my own hair which Is SL thanks to LF. I don't like how tracks, sew-in etc don't blend into your natural hair as good as it should.

If you're buying IR track hair and you have Kunta Kinte hair trust me no matter how much u flat iron it, eventually you will be able to tell the texture difference.

When the wind blows I don't have to worry about a track showing or the two hairs separating, and I can wear my hair in any style I chose.

PLUS... after you go buy you two good bags of hair (which will go in the garage anyway) and pay the person to put it in. You could have bought you a LF....

That's Just how I feel..

From experience I've worn glue tracks, sew-in, braids, finger waves, curls, Ya'll get the point.
jcampbell832

Postby ModelessDiva » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:03 am

I have no choice but to wear hair (alopecia) and the LF wigs look much, much more natural than the "hair Salon" wigs I was paying a FORTUNE for.
ModelessDiva

Postby msbhavn90250 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:05 am

what sadden me, is for others to not realize the opportunity wearing lf's can give you, to give your hair the break it needs from chemicals and other processes, daily manipulation, and the constant opportunity to give your hair the moisture it requires to obtain length without breakage..

I totally agree with everything Sexi said. I was strictly using lace wigs for about 7mths and I could not believe the growth I retained. I usually alternate weaves and lace wigs just to give my skin a break from adhesive but my goal is to grow my hair out and prevent alot of manipulation. I think my apps look pretty good but I am not trying to convince anyone it's my hair. I will straight up tell you it's a wig if asked but the tricks and tips you have to find on your own I will direct you
msbhavn90250

Postby La Colocha » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:06 am

I agree I use to wear weaves and I was leaving my edges out. Then they became thin. I will never go back to weaves again. I wore them for 6 years. I have hair but I like different styles and I'm not cutting my hair. I don't care what people say about full lace wigs. They just be hating because they can't afford to buy one. The amount that you pay for a good weave, not a cheap weave job, you could have bought two in a year if add up how much you pay in a year for a GOOD weave job. I think this is the best product that was bought forth and it makes women more versatile with style. PEACE AND HAIR GREASE!!!!!!
La Colocha

Postby Honeechile » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:09 am

excellent example b/c it does help with the hair growth as opposed to weaves that in most cases ruin your hair.. and you could also pose this questions with regard to weaves, b/c there are alot of jacked up weaves in the world, but they keep wearing them.. not agreeing with all lf's don't look realistic b/c some honestly do, and the same for somes weaves..
Honeechile

Postby nanany17 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:09 am

I think the reason depends on the person.
I have seen very bad wigs, weaves and lace wigs.
I have also seen very nice ones. But with everything there is trial and error.
nanany17

Postby slimjuicy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:11 am

I like wearing lace wigs because I really like the flexibility to change styles easily, not having to do sew-ins(I like doing sew-ins for other people, but dread the process for myself), and my hair growth has been amazing over this last year. I have always gone the extra mile to ensure that my hair, along with everything else, has always been on point. If I can spot something wrong I don't cover anything up, I'll start over without any hesitation, until I get my hair the way I want it. That's just me.

I have seen some women with HAM app's, but even when I want/try to make a suggestion, some people will get upset, so I tend to keep my comments to myself. If you have a bad wig, LF, weave, ponytail, or whatever you like, anyone can spot it from a distance or up close.

It takes time for someone to figure out what works for them as far as style, length, color, adhesive, vendor, and what looks good on them.
slimjuicy

Postby SassyOne » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:11 am

i TOTALLY AGREE. . . but some of these ladies will fight you tooth and nail. . . I have given up on thinkin that all ladies wear them to protect their hairs, or that all ladies wear them to convince folks it is their hair or that people are wearing them for any reason other than they just want hair on their heads. . . Like I just can't wrap my head about perfecting the hairline if it is not a realistic texture. live and let folks live
SassyOne

Postby jcampbell832 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:12 am

i TOTALLY AGREE. . . but some of these ladies will fight you tooth and nail. . . I have given up on thinkin that all ladies wear them to protect their hairs, or that all ladies wear them to convince folks it is their hair or that people are wearing them for any reason other than they just want hair on their heads. . . Like I just can't wrap my head about perfecting the hairline if it is not a realistic texture. live and let folks live
jcampbell832

Postby HairGirl203 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 am

I wear them for the versatility.
I dont care if you notice its a LF ---it is one after all.
I do however try to make it look as good as i can and leave the rest to God.
I like it better than BSS hair coz i can wear it 6 mo throw it away and pick it right up after another 6 mo
HairGirl203

Postby ModelessDiva » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 am

I am near bmore too. . . But I am actually in PG. . . but I mean, there are some CRAZY heads out there. . .I just figured that was ya'll style up there. lol
ModelessDiva

Postby Girl2aWoman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:14 am

I wear mainly for hair growth and walking away from chemically processing my hair. since i have perfected the techinque i now install many people my way hair too, and rarely do i get a second look because i match my texture, lengt very well. so like some ladies said earlier doing a excellent app is key.
Girl2aWoman

Postby LyhteHairBeauty » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:14 am

My answer would be heck yeah. The ONLY reason that I started wearing lf's was because they look so natural. That is, when they are applied correctly and have a believable density and texture on the wearer. I don't think any of us get a weave or lf and want it to scream FAKE, but some of us either don't take the time to perfect the application or perhaps some of us don't really care about trying to pass it off as being our own.

I am definitely one that cares. I always want my hair to look as if it's mine. If it doesn't, then I must be having an off day. I rarely am asked about my hair when I wear lf's, but if someone does ask me (depending on who it is and how they ask), I don't have a problem sharing.
LyhteHairBeauty

Postby Ese88 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:15 am

please don't take this personally, but every month, the same thread pops up about "why do women wear lfs?" and whether they look real, or not real, whether it's for growth, or fashion, yada, yada, yada...
Ese88

Postby rredict » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:15 am

If it's noticebly fake, or looks wiggish. I wasnt really familar with LF's until recently when I came on this board, and now its like I can spot them a mile awayLOL. But the ones I spot look like HAM, I mean I thought the purpose of wearing them was because they look more realistic. The ones I see are either super shinny, have way to much baby hair slicked down on the fore head, or just have unbelivable texture (like its now way thats growing out of your head).

Why go through the troulbe of applying LF, why not just wear a weave or a wig.

No direspect to all you ladies who have flawless results..
rredict

Postby holmique » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:16 am

we're seeing a lot more lace wearing here in b-more........unfortunately, we're seeing a lot more of the synthetics that are available in the BSS. So yes, I am seeing a lot more shine, ants, and hair slicked down. The good apps, of course, you never noticed......that's the idea.

There are ladies buying what would be considered high quality synthetics, I'm sure, but the standouts so far here have not looked good at all.
holmique

Postby CarmenKay » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:16 am

i think some members are still learning how to apply the unit , which takes a lot of effort etc. so i try not to judge when some one shares porn thats not quite right ? i for one realize i would never have the time or pt. to keep the unit up .. since the day i join this site i have seen many with flawless units > i meani actually had a debate with one member , her unit was so flawless i challenge her that it had to be a weave Smile i have to give props to anyone that makes the decision to wear a lace front .. i fail LOL run for your life op.LOLCry
CarmenKay

Postby msteelove » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:17 am

I've seen a lot of HAM weaves also. cheap BSS synthetic hair used for installs... horseshoes that come no where close to blending. Bulky braid patterns under lumpy weaves... been the recipient of a ham weave before also. It all boils down to whether you get an onpoint sew in done by a skilled stylist with decent hair that matches your own... let's not forget the tell tale weave plug at the center of the head... dead weave give away.

LFs: If you buy a poorly made unit, where the vendor used cheap hair, it does not fit properly, the density and color is off... well you are gonna look like a HAM. There are some ladies on the board with some FIYAH applications and density, very natural looking. And yes, I agree, many LFs I have seen outside this board, when I walk around the streets of the City, they look HAMMY...

It's all in the quality of what you get and the skills applied to installation be it weave or wig.
msteelove

Postby VirGoViXxEn » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:18 am

i'm in baltimore too. i have a co-worker who was too souped to tell me about her lace wig. how bout it was a synthetic with the lace uncut. it was unadhered & she was rotating it around on her head to demo. she's known to leave her wig on her desk & go to the bathroom though so consider the subject i guess..
VirGoViXxEn

Postby Natural Lady » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:18 am

Im not tryna put anyone down, shoot Im still rocking my sewn n's I haven't moved up to Lf's yet. And I know when someone looks at my head they know it a weaves because I dont leave any of my real hair out (I just invested in a closure so its a lil more realistic). Im not tryna fool anyone, but when I do move up to LF's thats my goal for someone to look at me and assume its's my real hair.
I mean isnt that really the purpose?
Natural Lady

Postby JuvekerHairFibers » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:19 am

I'm close to Bmor also, and went to Patapsco market Sunday , I saw so many of the synthetic LF"S with terrible apps, it was horrible.
JuvekerHairFibers

Postby MsMiamiLady » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:20 am

The "real purpose" of wearing an lf can all be relative. I don't wear anything under 20 inches and guess what people never question my hair. I just have a really great app that I have perfected over the years. Even if people knew if the hair didn't belong to me...I wouldn't care as long as my hair was on point.

I know alot of people go through great lengths to go undetected by strangers, boyfriends/husbands, co-workers...etc. They always order the same thing or never experiment with colors and textures or lemgths. That is just too boring for me...I like to switch up based on my mood and fashion choices...every now and then.
MsMiamiLady

Next

Return to Wigs