WHICH BRAID PATTERN LAYS FLATTEST?

Re: WHICH BRAID PATTERN LAYS FLATTEST?

Postby HairGirl203 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:07 pm

. i think it depends... u can still get a flat weave with long hair w/o having to do the pattern in the pics that i posted. i personally like to have the weave be flat at the top where ur hair blends. that is most important to me... thats why i like the straight back type patterns better. but if u really dont like the bulk and u dont think there is anything else the stylist can do to make it flatter then u might consider the horizontal.
HairGirl203

Postby SouthernStunner » Sat May 28, 2011 10:08 pm

I have hair added every time and the two people that did it both said tht the synthetic hair added helps to hold the braids longer and helps protect your own hair when tightening the thread.
SouthernStunner

Postby reeko43 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:08 pm

there is definitley some merit to adding hair to the braids. i rarely add to mine but it i used to when i used to braid all my edges up to help reduce the stress to my real edges from the braiding and then sewing... also i think somebody already said it but if ur hair is fine then it generally will not stay braided as well so then adding some kanekalon extension hair in that case is a good idea as well..
reeko43

Postby Natural Lady » Sat May 28, 2011 10:09 pm

This is usually why people add hair, but if the hair is thick enough, there's really no need.
I braid my weaves starting out horizontally in opposite directions at the nape and connect the left end with the braid that will be my new braid going towards the "right". Then I start braiding them in a semi circle as I move closer to the middle of the head, connecting each other braid to the other semi-circle so I sorta of end up with a swirl, like a beehive but not quite. When I sew them together, I sew down, and it gives me a flat base, and then I sew the tracks horizontally, until I get a little past the ears, then I start sewing in a semi circle... and close up the top by making a tight circle, and then sewing the circle closed.

Imagine a circle it looking like this (-) and sewing the curves tight to the slit in the middle.

I hope this makes sense, when trying to explain how you do something... it sounds like a dag-on foreign language.
Natural Lady

Postby slayfresh » Sat May 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Yea, you could get it braided in a circle, then leave out a long 'tuft' of hair in the front to blend. I saw that method in a hair magazine where her natural hair was very long. I think it was in the last issue of Black Sophisticate's, September maybe.
slayfresh

Postby jamoca5 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:10 pm

I meant to say the vertical pattern since I prefer the bulkiness to be in the back, rather than all over.
jamoca5

Postby slayfresh » Sat May 28, 2011 10:11 pm

then again i may just do vertical braids til i get to the ears then do horizontal for the ear going back to the nape. or would vertical lay flatter in the back for me? i only have 7 inches of fine hair i have a lot but its fine. and as mentioned b4 i never sewed so what am i doing with the thread?? i'm going under the braid or thru the braid with the needle?? and does the needle go thru the middle of the weft??

i heard some of that hair that you had may be damaging to your hair. anybody else heard that??
slayfresh

Postby TriniStarr » Sat May 28, 2011 10:12 pm

In my opinion if you leave whateva hair you need for blending out then braid the rest straight back you will get the flattest weave. For the front if you braid the hair back at a curve with your head to about your ear then from ur nape up to ur ear braid in the opposite direction all you have to do is sew the ends onto the cornrows. This is the flattest possible sew in for your length. Guaranteed to feel no bumps. So from hairline to ear back then from nape to ear up. If you want in the nape you could do one small cornrow but split it from the center then make one corn going to the left and the other going to the rightand continue it up to the ear just the same. Hope this helps and you understand!
TriniStarr

Postby carolina cutie » Sat May 28, 2011 10:13 pm

yeah i got it that sounds like a winner thanks!!
what about the sewing part?? do i take the thread under my braid or through it??whats your opinion on adding hair to the cornrow yulette?
carolina cutie

Postby Stormy » Sat May 28, 2011 10:14 pm

i just got the cornrows done without the added hair. now i don't know how to sew it cause i never tried. i'm so used to bonding
Stormy

Postby LilMissRed » Sat May 28, 2011 10:15 pm

I ususally sew through the braid connecting one to the next without overlapping them so it can lay very flat!
There are 3 ways you can sew... depending on the weft type(I've found it very hard to get a needle thru a handtied weft so) you can start the neddle under the weft and thru ur hair and thru the loop you make as u pull it thru the
weft (The knot should be flush against the weft) this way you can't feel the knots.
The other way is start it the same but you don't put the needle thru the weft but right under the stitched part of the weft then thru ur braid, ir u do it close enough u will get a secure hold.
The third way is basic sewing technique with same start but as u come up through ur braid and weft(horizontally)u go back down through weft and braid( should be a 1/4in. space ) and continue until u run out of thread for that section. Tie in knot underthe weft.
LilMissRed

Postby MooMonSTAR » Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 pm

one way- i can start sewing one side of my braid and weft together than start on the next weft to connect?? so if i'm sewing horizontally i want to just keep going up on the same side of the the different wefts!the second way- is it just pretty much like regular sewing, like i can go thru the weft with the needle or i can go under?? is seems going thru the weft might be more secure.as far as putting the needle thru my braids can that cause damage? and if i put it the thread underneath my braid is that less secure?
MooMonSTAR

Postby missdaniella » Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 pm

Girl u gotta put the needle thru ur braid, how else is it gonna stay! Will not damage as long as u don't do it too tight(THAT'S ON U!) Big%20smile Putting the thread under the weft isn't less secure but is hard to explain in writing to really make sense of it.
If u do the braids vertically u have to do them small enough so u don't have gaps in sewing horizontally.
missdaniella

Postby macyscorner » Sat May 28, 2011 10:18 pm

was thinking you could put the needle under the whole braid then thru the weft or under the weft, it seems like it would hold too if you put it under the whole braid. but hey i'm not an expert at this yet, i'm still trying to learn, thanks for your help and advice i appreciate it
macyscorner

Postby An_gell » Sat May 28, 2011 10:18 pm

put it thru the braid so you don't break any hair from just going under the braid and it would hold better IMO. post pics if you can so we can see ur results!
An_gell

Postby djanae » Sat May 28, 2011 10:19 pm

I was told by a braider that synethic hair cuts the hair,so I only add if the hair is too short to stay by itself.and I use nets/caps to hold the hair in place. I can see why a person woulld add hair if they were to wear the braids alone as a style so that the hair won't frizz as quickly,but if the hair is long and thick enough to hold the braid,I wouldn't add any,besides the only real time you truly get flat braids is if you have fairly short hair that doesn't require a lot of long end tack downs.If you can keep a continuous pattern going where there is one beginning and one end that is preferable.
djanae

Postby HijabiFlygirl » Sat May 28, 2011 10:20 pm

regular synthetic hair DOES cause damage ... at least it did to my hair... but kanekalon doesnt... its a MUCH softer type of synthetic hair. its not plastic-ish like other types of synthetic hair... and its the only thing i would ever use as far as synthetic hair and braids are concerned....kanekalon based synthetic hair comes in a variety of textures from straight to kinky....
HijabiFlygirl

Return to Weaves / Extensions