Wigs VS. Weaves!

Wigs VS. Weaves!

Postby slimjuicy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:31 am

Wigs VS. Weaves! I came to this board trying to get some ideas on how to do my next weave. I found out theres so much work to do a weave, like blending, braiding, patterns, sewing, splitting..etc. its so much work!Isn't it just easier to braid up your hair and slap on a wig? I mean, whats the difference? they probably look the same in the end, just a wig is alot easier, and you could do more styling with a wig...right? Now im thinking about getting a wig. God help me! i dont know which one to choose. If i get a wig, am i doing the right thing?
slimjuicy

Re: Wigs VS. Weaves!

Postby reeko43 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:44 am

wearing a weave or wig really is a matter of personal preference. Each person will have different reasons why they like one or the other or both.
Each one has it's positives and negatives. I'm a weave girl myself
reeko43

Postby CarmenKay » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:58 am

My man already doesn't like the idea of fake hair, but LOVES the way my weaves look on me. Wearing a wig would probably have him put his foot down though. The word "wig" itself can have negative conotations in the fact that everyone understands you can just take your whole head of hair off your head at any moment, so it seems "more fake" than a weave which is a more permanent committment to the hair.
CarmenKay

Postby Aggie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:01 am

I've seen some beautiful wigs ,especially now that they have it in the Remy hair,but I like the idea of not having to take it off! When you're on vacation, swimming in the water,you can't expect for the wig to stay in place and other scenarios where you may want the hair to be stationary and not have to worry about it coming off. I'm sure that one day I'll get too old and tired to do my weave and then and only then will I wear the wig!
Aggie

Postby An_gell » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:01 am

I prefer wigs. I love wigs 'cause they make it so easy to change hair styles!
An_gell

Postby TayMac » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:10 am

I wear wigs and weaves,wigs are a time saver and (money saver) for a quick temporary switch I go for wigs espically for a style like the one you decribed before *(everything covered with bangs), for me weaves are more of a style commitment you will stay in it longer ie 2-3 months
TayMac

Postby CarmenKay » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:11 am

I prefer to wear wigs over weaves because it allows me better access to my scalp. You can also change the styles up more with wigs than with a single weave. I tried to wear full lf but had to stop because I had such a full hairline, it was close to my eyebrows already, and I did not want to cut it off for that type of style. If properly taken care of, the right wig can last you at least 1 year.
CarmenKay

Postby SouthernStunner » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:17 am

It was this person by that name going from thread to thread advertising. I guess the mods deleted it
SouthernStunner

Postby LilMissRed » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:18 am

I prefer wigs like the opters. I love the convenience of putting on and slanging off (especially since it is about 90 degrees here).
LilMissRed

Postby winona » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:19 am

I love quick weaves!
winona

Postby PositivelyRadiant » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:20 am

I apologize I was just so excited about how well my business is doing. Now that I think about it that was very rude. So I openly and genuinely apologize. I just thougtht the excitement would catch on. i decided I will only contribute my knowledge and not my products. But lets be real there are some people who are in need. So you know where to find me. With that being said, ladies can you find it in your heart to forgive me?
PositivelyRadiant

Postby IDareT'sHair » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:20 am

I apologize I was just so excited about how well my business is doing. Now that I think about it that was very rude. So I openly and genuinely apologize. I just thougtht the excitement would catch on. i decided I will only contribute my knowledge and not my products. But lets be real there are some people who are in need. So you know where to find me. With that being said, ladies can you find it in your heart to forgive me?
IDareT'sHair

Postby SouthernStunner » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:22 am

I prefer the wigs also, much more versatile no long term commitment. I have a 3/4 wig and love it, i can put it all up in a pony really nice and if u want a more permanant fixture you can sew it on a couple section of your hair. very very conveience is the key..
SouthernStunner

Postby janda » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:22 am

No offense but even in your apology you managed to advertise, looks down on that and you can get a negative rep, chill with that
janda

Postby wheezy807 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:23 am

I just think differently. More positively I suppose I didn't mean for you to get that interpretation of what I said, but then again I can't control another indivisual's interpretation of what I say. But I'm chillin. I am also not the type to carry on on a forum so I will say I am sorry and move on . God Bless
wheezy807

Postby macyscorner » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:24 am

I think full and 3/4 wigs are the easiest. With the many hair treatments that posts, it's so much easier to get to your scalp to treat your hair, and you change up quicker. And yes, you can take the combs off and sew it on as well.
StarrieP, I love to know which 3/4 one you can put into a pony. I would think the bump in front would not be smooth enough.
macyscorner

Postby angelp » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:26 am

i'm a weave girl, but maybe if i could sew on a wig, i would do that
angelp

Postby SwingPrincess » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:27 am

I'm both! Wink But I love my wigs the most. I get those sew-in also.
SwingPrincess

Postby Cream Tee » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:28 am

I'm a sew in girl for several reasons:
1. I do too much activity to have to worry about my hair slipping to one side
2. I have this thing where I like to scratch out my scalp, and yes I can do this with a wig, but not without the whole thing moving
3. for some reason, I have to have my edges out , and I dont like bangs especially in the summer so, weaves are the only way to go for me
4. Im in MD, and it's summer... nuff said
5. I dont want to worry about what the wind will do to me.
Now I have a couple of wigs in my stash, but they're mostly for in between temporary fixes in between installs.
Cream Tee

Postby slimjuicy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:28 am

I have my hair back now in a pony and i have about an inch of my hair out in the front. This is the 3/4 fall I am wearing now and I really like it.....No humps or anything in the middle all brushed back using a wig brush into a nice pony at the nape of my neck....i permed my edges last week and everything blends well....
slimjuicy

Postby angelp » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:29 am

I am a weave girl, but I have never tried a wig so I can't really say that I don't like them...
angelp

Postby KPH » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 am

I love both, but I'd have to say the versatility of wigs wins it in the end. With weaves you get the glamour 24-7, I love that aspect. But with wigs, I LOVE that I can play in my hair, wash, deep condition, change it up every day if I want. I especially LOVE the 3/4 wigs.
KPH

Postby LaBelleLL » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:31 am

I have 1 or 2 wigs that I wear 'tween weaves (I don't wear 'em often) My fav temporary hair is my wardrobe of phony ponies..
LaBelleLL

Postby tdwillis » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 am

ITA! GIRL! My man would most def. lose his mind seeing me take my hair off every night
tdwillis

Postby Stormy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 am

Speaking of "being real", your "apology" smacks of insincerity given your past behavior.. Does this mean you'll not be using PMs like you did on HairBoutique to "share" your excitement??? Does this mean you are done making random posts advertising your products like you did on HairBoutique and HE101?? I for one did not appreciate receiving your unsolicited PM on HairBoutique..
Stormy

Postby HijabiFlygirl » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:33 am

I like both wigs and weaves. About two years ago I was tired of the weave thing so I found a beautiful human hair wig at the BSS store and had it sewn on. I spent a total of about $100 for the wig...and ladies let me tell you I wore that wig for at least 4 months with a couple of rebraiding and washings in between and I loved it. What's cool about wigs is that I was able to pick a color that really couldn't be duplicated with a weave. Just think about it.. especially for the right touch of blonde highlights a wig is a great alternative. Or maybe there is a particular style that you know a stylist may not be able to cut..especially the layered cuts a wig is a great option.
HijabiFlygirl

Postby KPH » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:35 am

Well I got my first weave ever last year and I completely fell in love. Not handling my thick hair has been a breeze. I'm getting a couple of wigs for the summer for ease, I couldn't imagine weaving it up for the summer...too hot! I'm getting some wigs but I truly love the versatility of both wigs and weaves, long as I don't mess with my own hair I'm cool.
KPH

Postby catalyzte » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:27 am

I started wearing wigs at the advice of a friend, who suddenly loved all the attention she got when she walked in with long gorgeous hair. So I tried it, and it didn't take long to get used to having one on. Now I prefer it. They are NOT hot in the summer to me, it's like my BF wearing his baseball cap. She wears them 24/7, and has a new one just about every week. In fact, she changes them like shoes. one to sleep in, one for working out, one for work, one when she gets home, and one for bath/swimming. She's obsessed, and I am heading that way soon. I never thought of the idea of making it such a style. She did braids, glued a cap on, and that was it. She changes her hair with her outfit or moods, and said she's never going back. She talked of shaving her head for convenience. Very simple: wash or brush it style and go. And they are all synthetic, so they are very affordable. Her collection is growing, her closet ifs FULL, and I am jealous.
catalyzte

Postby SouthernStunner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:30 pm

:D
SouthernStunner

Return to Weaves / Extensions